Special NoticeThe unfit for purpose Local Government Ombudsman (@LGOombudsman) is now using the hash-tag #LGOlive on Twitter to advance their spin-doctoring PR "Advisory Forum".
Individual complainants now have the means to tell the Local Government Ombudsman publicly and directly what they really think about the 'service' they have received.
The Local Government Ombudsman and their fifteen pillars of injustice(1) They work in private,
(2) you can't appeal their findings of fact,
(3) they don't have to be qualified for the job,
(4) they can, and indeed do, delegate their job to a junior member of staff no matter how unqualified or incompetent,
(5) they don't have to show all the evidence to the complainant and they usually don't,
(6) they can and often do talk to the council without the complainant being aware any discussion took place,
(7) they settle the complaint with the council. A complainant can't refuse such a settlement,
(8) they don't have to follow previous decisions/precedents/case law,
(9) they are free to define maladministration as they see fit,
(10) they are free to determine the level of injustice you must suffer before investigating your complaint,
(11) they are free to engage in propaganda (or as Justice Lightman calls it an evangelical agenda),
(12) they probably don't meet the requirements of the Human Rights Act. Justice Lightman's view,
(13) they often accept false statements from a council officer as the truth without any validation (Their 5th pillar of injustice ensures nobody else is in a position to challenge this ludicrous pillar of injustice),
(14) they don't take action against any council officer who has lied to them.
(15) they don't report any potentially criminal act they identify during their investigations to the Police.
Compare the LGO fifteen pillars of injustice above to the Courts/Tribunal fifteen pillars of justice below.
(1) Court proceedings are held in public,
(2) either side can appeal a judgement on a finding of fact,
(3) the judge is qualified,
(4) a judge can't delegate their job to a junior member of staff,
(5) all evidence is shown to both sides,
(6) a judge can't talk to one side without the other side being present,
(7) any out of court settlement is agreed between the two parties. The judge plays no part,
(8) they have to follow case law or provide a valid reason for not doing so,
(9) statutory definitions exist for all legal wrongs,
(10) a judge can't stop you taking court action even if the injustice you have suffered is slight,
(11) a judge cannot use self promoting publicity (propaganda),
(12) all court/tribunal cases have to be human rights compliant.
(13) statements are not accepted as the truth by a judge without (a) being made under oath and (b) tested by counter argument and cross examination by the other party.
(14) action can be taken against anyone who commits perjury in court.
(15) a judge would report any potentially criminal act they identify during a trial to the Police.
Local Government Ombudsmen are nothing more than a government sponsored quango whose remit is to bury as much of the unpleasant and offensive features of Local Government as they can. If they weren't why does the government force everyone who has a complaint about Local Government to use such a discredited and biased system of administrative justice? Why no administrative tribunal with similar powers and accountability to a proper court? All we get when we identify problems like the ones above is a select committee investigation which just tinkers the system so the government can keep the demonstrably unfit for purpose Local Government Ombudsman in business.
Want to tell others how an Ombudsman mishandled your complaint?Then why not start your own blog or website. In the alternative you could always tell the DCLG select committee (the one which has twice [2005 and 2012] had the opportunity to get rid of the discredited LGO) how the LGO mishandled your complaint.
usWelcome Please read me Help Advice Watchers Contact us
resourcesOmbudsmen Statistics Documents Evidence Surveys LGO way back Maladministration FAQs Case Studies Personal accounts Articles Letters Petitions [WDTK] FOI [TWFY] MPs Websites Blogs RSS feeds
legalStatutes Law Judicial Review